Global Business Development & Licensing (BD&L) department is part of the Global Strategy & Business Development (S&BD) unit. The mission of Global BD&L is to seek and execute external growth initiatives to address the Group´s strategic priorities. This mission is fully supporting ´s 2015-2020 strategic roadmap, specially aligned with the following strategic priorities: Reshape the portfolio and Sustain innovation in R&D. The key activities of Global BD&L are the search, evaluation, structuring, negotiation and closing of strategic alliances with external companies beyond Group, involving products and other product-related assets.
The main responsibilities of Global BD&L include:
Seek and execute external growth and collaborations opportunities (Alliances and Licensing) in coherence with the Group´s strategy. Evaluate the economic interest of external projects maximizing value creation for the Group. The External Innovation team within BD&L is responsible for leading the search, scientific assessment and early stage transactions for R&D opportunities, in close alignment with the Global Business Units. The External Innovation Lead, Immunology defines the external innovation strategy and coordinates global search & assessment activities for the therapeutic area (TA). S/He acts as the main point of contact to the TA to drive search, evaluation and partnering of external innovation solutions that meet the TA needs to maintain and expand a competitive portfolio of projects and technologies. Principal Job Duties Innovation Strategy: As a member of the Immunology Research leadership team, the Head of Innovation develops a comprehensive and feasible External Innovation strategy for the TA in line with the TA portfolio needs & identified gaps. The Head of External Innovation serves as a thought partner to the TA Head and Leadership Team, with the ability to both support and challenge key stakeholders in R&D and across the organization to drive opportunities through the evaluation process. Working closely with other members of the R&D and BD&L leadership team, s/he ensures that maintains a world-class Immunology R&D pipeline.
Search and Evaluation:
The External Innovation Lead and his/her team lead global external search and assessment efforts for the TA, with the scope throughout the R&D lifecycle, with strong emphasis on pre-POC assets. Responsibility to build relationships with key scientific leaders, academic partners and biotech companies and is seen as a subject matter expert in Immunology research and therapeutics. Required to maintain an up-to-date awareness of the current landscape and trends in Immunology research, technology and clinical practices.
Active deal projects:
The External Innovation Lead and his/her team in collaboration with transactions colleagues
- identify and propose attractive deal opportunities,
- ensure high quality project leadership and management
- manage the overall interface to governance bodies and
- align resources and decision making throughout the deal process.
S/he oversees, steers and sets objectives for global TA External Innovation efforts and coordinates and prioritizes across the global TA EI project portfolio. Member of External Innovation Leadership Team: As a member of the leadership team, the Innovation Lead helps to set the direction for the group in terms of goals and priorities, talent management, functional strategic initiatives, processes and tools. S/he contributes to building a world class partnering organization made up of highly capable and motivated professionals who together form a vibrant learning community. S/he also acts as an ambassador for External Innovation to external audiences
- PhD, MS, MD, PharmD degrees in one of the areas of drug discovery, with an experience in Immunology preferred.
- Extensive scientific experience, preferably obtained through 10-year experience in multiple R&D functions in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Outstanding scientific excellence in disease biology, discovery and early development a strong plus.
- Evidence of ability to set and communicate a strategic vision and inspire excellent performance.
- Evidence of organizational and project management skills.
- Evidence of successful line management with strong coaching skills.
- Deep commitment and high performance demonstrated in all aspects of work.
- Fluency in English, orally and in writing
- The ideal candidate has deep experience and knowledge of global drug discovery and early development activities.
- Must have or have ability to rapidly acquire in-depth knowledge in Immunology drug discovery and development.
- Ideally, should have multi-year successful track record in external R&D, partnering and/or business development.
- Excellent track record of identifying, implementing and managing novel partnering opportunities.
- Strategic thinking in combination with understanding science and technologies and their impact on the overall business.
- Entrepreneurial attitude to trigger innovative solutions based on cutting edge technology.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in leading senior level hierarchical and non-hierarchical, international, multi-functional global teams.
- Ability to inspire, motivate and coach.
- Excellent networking ability in cross-cultural environment inside and especially outside.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, presentation skills.
- Negotiation skills across all levels of the organization and with external parties. At the same time performance- and achievement–oriented with excellent project management skills.
- Able to work to agreed timelines and a focus on execution and implementation.
- Excellent problem-solving, conflict-resolution and decision-making skills.
- Result and quality oriented: able to analyze inputs from all involved departments, to identify the impact, draw conclusions, to set direction and define appropriate actions.
- Ability to represent the company in external scientific/academic world and to act as an ambassador for.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Is a global healthcare leader focused on patients’ needs, engaged in the research, development, manufacturing and marketing of therapeutic solutions focused on patients’ needs.
- Has core strengths in diabetes solutions, human vaccines, innovative drugs, consumer healthcare, emerging markets.
- At, our ambition is to be an integrated global healthcare company, focused on patients’ needs.
- Relocation Assistance Available – Possible for ideal candidate
- 10+ to 15 years’ experience
- Minimum Education – Master’s Degree
- Willingness to Travel – Occasionally
Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org